Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Pets!

At the beginning of this summer, Brian had one pet, a betta fish named Posieden (after my friend Sarah's betta of the same name). He is a really cool red fish with a blue tank and blue pebbles at the bottom, a green fake plant, and a castle for him to sleep in.

Shortly after the beginning of summer, Brian was asked if he wanted to adopt a kitty, Marley, from some of his friends who were moving apartments. He agreed and has had Marley now for about a month. Marley is a really great cat who greets you with meows when you come home and loves being pet (maybe a little spoiled!).

Then Brian found a 3-inch long mantis at his work-site and decided to bring it home. Egbertita. She's fun and right now has the worst living situation of the three, in a clear plastic container he got at the dollar store (soon to be remedied!).

Due to Brian's job, he goes to a cell tower site, maybe a few hours away, and stays there overnight, sometimes from Monday to Friday. SOO, I've had the pleasure of taking care of all his pets. It's pretty easy to take care of Posieden- food morning and night, light on and off. The kitty requires litter scooping plus feeding, not to mention all the petting he "needs." But with Egbertita, she doesn't need much- just food. That's not so bad, except that she's predatory and only eats living insects. So this morning, I spent about 45 minutes hunting, which I guess is kind of a strange activity for a vegetarian. I caught exactly two moths and fed them to the newest member of the pet family, who hadn't eaten for maybe 3 or 4 days. I'm thinking about getting a stick for her to put into her container so she has something to climb on besides the walls.

I've found that I really like taking care of these little guys and doing it well. I couldn't bear to see poor Egbertita go without eating for so many days and I don't like going over too late to give Marley his evening meal. These living things depend on me for their existence, and I want to make it a happy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment